POLNA BY BRAUN & HOGENBERG 1617
Copper line engraving on paper, drawn by G. Hoefnagel and son, 1617 and contains a key to six locations. Produced to accompany Braun & Hogenberg's "Civitates Orbis Terrarum", and published in Cologne circa 1617.
CARTOUCHE TOP: Polna, in the vernacular Polm, eminent town in Bohemia, divides the kingdom from Moravia.
CARTOUCHE BOTTOM RIGHT: Procured by Georg Hoefnagel, painted by his son. In the year 1617.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "This town lies right on the border between Bohemia and Moravia, such that the town belongs to Moravia but the castle to Bohemia. Both are handsomely built and are in pleasant locations, especially the castle, which in the direction of Prague has fine ponds full of fish. This land not only has all kinds of fruits and pastures, but also birds and game and wild fowl. But since we have at present no other information about this town, and, as we have said, it lies on the border between Bohemia and Moravia, we will here give a brief account of how these two territories came together."
This is a view of Polna from the southwest looking across the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands from a slightly elevated viewpoint. In addition to the parish church (D) in the centre, this view is dominated by the castle (F) beside the river Slapanka. Polna was founded in the first half of the 13th century and was granted a municipal charter in 1479. The trade route from Prague to Vienna passed through here; the town's importance increased with the construction of the castle in the mid-13th century. In the 15th/16th centuries the town flourished, largely due to the cloth trade. During this period the castle was rebuilt in the Renaissance style. After a fire in 1794 it stood empty until it was restored in the 20th century; today it is used as a hotel.
Measures approx. 320 x 490 mm. Excellent condition.
Attractive Hand Colour.
A guaranteed genuine antique map.